Addiction rates in the US are concerning, and veterans are at even greater risk for developing a substance use disorder (SUD) than the general population. A number of factors go into this statistic. The barriers to help-seeking are high among veterans as well, including stigma around showing vulnerability or requesting help. If you are a veteran or are close to a veteran struggling with an SUD, consider Sanative Recovery and Wellness addiction treatment programs in Atlanta that support veterans seeking to begin recovery.
Sanative Recovery and Wellness provides high-quality outpatient addiction rehab programs and evidence-based therapies. If you want to learn more about addiction treatment for veterans, contact us today by dialing 877.899.1502. Sanative’s veterans’ program in Atlanta, GA, is staffed by compassionate professionals who are ready to answer your questions and help you take the first steps toward recovery.
Addiction Risks among Veterans
While on active duty, military personnel face a range of experiences and risks that people who never serve in the armed services cannot imagine. When they leave the military, re-entry into civilian life comes with its own set of challenging obstacles and challenges. Below is a partial list of significant factors in veteran addiction.
- Military culture tolerates alcohol use at high levels. In many cases, veterans leave the service already accustomed to drinking often and in excess to fit in and cope with their high-stress lifestyle.
- Traumatic experiences in the military lead to self-medicating behaviors. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) has a high prevalence among veterans. 20% of veterans seek treatment for PTSD, and many others suspected of having this disorder do not get diagnosed or seek help. Muting PTSD symptoms with drugs or alcohol is typical.
- Veterans are at greater risk for other mental health disorders as well. High numbers of veterans experience depression, anxiety, and traumatic brain injuries, all of which can result in daily challenges that can lead to drug and alcohol abuse.
- Returning to civilian life is often much more challenging than people expect. The pressure to find work, renew old relationships, secure housing, and learn to function in a very different culture than the military can be overwhelming. These stressors can quickly lead to or escalate drug or alcohol use and abuse.
- They put off seeking help because they believe they ought to be able to handle things on their own. Taught in the military to be self-sufficient problem-solvers, these men and women do not realize that they can’t always do it all and may need help. By putting off help-seeking, their struggles with substances and mental health can escalate rapidly.
Substance abuse treatment for veterans is the best way for former military to begin recovery safely and in a setting where their unique circumstances and experiences are understood.
Addiction Treatment for Veterans
In Sanative Recovery and Wellness’s outpatient veterans’ programs, you will receive cutting-edge outpatient care in a safe, comfortable environment.
We have a low-intensity outpatient program (OP), an intensive outpatient program (IOP), and a partial hospitalization program (PHP), which requires the greatest time commitment and offers the highest level of care.
Our trauma-informed, evidence-based therapies include:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- Contingency management
- Community reinforcement and family training (CRAFT)
- REBT (rational emotive behavior therapy)
- Motivational enhancement therapy (MET)
- Motivational interviewing
- Moral Reconation Therapy
The benefits of experiential and meditative therapies have been proven, and we support our veterans with a full range of these options in addition to psychotherapy. Also, because of the high incidence of co-occurring disorders among veterans, it is important that substance abuse treatment for veterans includes dual diagnosis care, meaning a coordinated approach to the treatment of both substance use and mental health disorders within the same program.
Sanative Recovery and Wellness: a Veterans Program in Atlanta, GA, Can Help
At Sanative Recovery and Wellness, we can offer you a full range of therapies. We aim to help you regain full health and wellness as you begin your recovery journey. Let’s talk about your options. Call us today at 877.899.1502 or use this online form to connect with one of our staff.